You got a new Internet connection, and it promises 100 Mbps. You are fired up and cannot wait to watch HD movies without buffering and play games without lags. When you start using the Internet, though, it is a different story. You aren’t even getting half the speed!
Worried, you call the Internet company, but they verify that speed is normal in their tests. What’s going wrong, then? It’s your router.
Getting an Internet connection is just the beginning. To enjoy great speed, you need a router that is capable of providing the speed you bought on all your devices, no matter where you are at home. This means it should cover all areas and floors (if you live in a multi-story home).
Due to the many options out there and the alien technical terms associated with each, we understand this can be a difficult task. But, like always, we are here to help! Let’s dive into the world of routers and find you the best for 100 Mbps speeds.
What to look for in a router
To ensure that you understand how to search for a router and zero in on the right one, we put together this checklist. Here’s what you should look for while buying a router.
- Buy a three-band router, especially if you have a number of latest devices. 5 GHz is the winner right now, and being able to connect more devices to that band will give you a significant advantage. However, tri-band routers are usually expensive. You can choose dual-band if you have 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz devices and would like an affordable option.
- Check the real-life speed that your ISP is providing. This is important because the theoretical speed is often different from the speed you actually get. Confirm this so that you know how strong your router needs to be.
- Your router should be able to cover an area of at least 2000 sft. If you have a larger house, you can look at stronger routers as well.
- The router must provide WPA2 encryption. Cybersecurity is the need of the hour and has to be taken very seriously.
- Lastly, we recommend that you check for MIMO support so that you enjoy the fast transmission of data.
Best WiFi router for 100 Mbps
Now is the time to quickly look at routers than can do justice to 100 Mbps. We chose this speed for two reasons. We have been getting lots of inquiries about the same and 100 Mbps seems to be good enough for regular usage. Here we go then!
1. TP-Link AC1750
TP-Link is known for its affordable yet amazing routers. It is also widely accepted and celebrated because it is easy to use and is reliable. Below are a few factors that are sure to make you consider it.
- It is a dual-band gigabit router with 4 LAN ports. You can also use it as a gaming router.
- It has the capacity to provide 450 Mbps through 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps through 5 Hz, making it a total of 1750 Mbps.
- You can use it with all 802.11 devices.
- It can connect up to 50 devices without compromising on the stability!
- Whether it is 4K streaming or HD gaming, this router can give you a seamless experience.
- It is a long-range router with 3 antennae, enabling it to cover an area of 2,500 sft.
- You will find an integrated USB port that lets you share the drive’s content with ease.
- To set it up, you can download the TP-Link Tether app and manage your network easily.
- It comes with parental control and guest access.
2. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router – AC1750
NETGEAR has been a leader in routers for years, and its Nighthawk range shows us why. It is an excellent device for those looking at decent coverage at an affordable rate. A few details about the AC1750 model are as follows:
- The router can cover 1500 sft. and provide seamless Internet to 25 devices simultaneously.
- It is capable of giving you up to 1750 Mbps speed in dual-band. The breakdown for this is 450 Mbps for 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps for 5 GHz.
- You can easily stream videos, connect smart home devices, play games, and surf the Internet with the router. The connection it provides is incredibly stable.
- It has a 1 GHz dual-core processor.
- The router comes with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing you to plug in multiple devices together. It also has a USB 3.0 port.
- Its smart parental controls will let you restrict access, pause the Internet, check usage history, filter sites, and set online time limits as well. However, a few of these features come at a minimal extra cost.
- The router supports all WPA2 security protocols. Furthermore, NETGEAR Armor protects all connected devices from online threats.
- With the Nighthawk App, you will be able to set up your home Wi-Fi system in just 5 minutes.
3. MOTOROLA Wi-Fi Smart Router – AC2600
You are probably surprised to see Motorola on this list, but don’t worry, we did not make a mistake! Motorola has emerged as an excellent manufacturer of A-class smart routers, and the MR2600 model is testimony to this. Here’s why you should purchase it:
- It is a 4 x 4 gigabit, dual-band router, providing incredible speed and connectivity.
- You can connect your smart TV, smart devices, gaming consoles, computers, etc. with ease and enjoy superfast Internet.
- It comes with 4 adjustable antennae.
- The router is compatible with all 802.11 ac devices.
- It has Beamforming technology that targets the signal to each connected device.
- Along with 4 LAN ports, the router also has a USB 3.0 port.
- Other features of this excellent Motorola router are MU-MIMO technology, Smart QoS, parental controls, guest access, firewall, and dual-core processor.
4. Google Wi-Fi System
Google is winning hearts in every department these days, and along with its smart devices, its Wi-Fi system is gaining rapid popularity. Here’s a 1-pack system that promises to cover an area of 1,500 sft. If you need more coverage, you can buy the 2- or 3-pack system. Here are more details:
- The promised Wi-Fi throughput is 1200 Mbps.
- It comes with the Network Assist Technology that lets you enjoy faster Internet without interference.
- For setup, you just need to download the app. It gets done within a few minutes and gives you a range of options to explore, such as device priority, pausing the connection, etc.
- It eliminates dead spots and minimizes buffer time significantly.
- The router supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac devices.
- It has 2 gigabit ports and provides expandable mesh Wi-Fi.
5. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 – AC3200
Here comes the beast! It may be the most expensive router on our list, but it does total justice to its price tag. The R800 model from the Nighthawk series is indeed a force to reckon. Here’s why we say so:
- It is a tri-band router offering up to 3200 Mbps speed (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps).
- It has 4-gigabit ports and 2 USB ports.
- The router can cover an area of 3500 sft., making it a perfect choice for large homes.
- Along with a 1 GHz dual-processor, the router has Beamforming+ technology, smart connect capabilities, dynamic QoS, and more.
- It comes with 6 amplified antennae.
- Its smart parental controls ensure that you manage the Wi-Fi according to your needs. You can restrict sites, access, and pause the Internet on certain devices. It also offers guest Wi-Fi.
- NETGEAR Armor protects you from cyber threats.
- You can connect up to 50 devices to the Internet with this router.
- It comes powered with WPA2 encryption for security.
- Additional features include personal cloud storage, voice control (Amazon Alexa), and VPN.
We enlisted our favorite Wi-Fi routers for 100 Mbps speed in ascending order, considering their price. In almost all cases, the price corresponds to the features except in TP-Link. It is the most affordable one here, but it has unmatched features and offers more coverage than its counterparts. So, we advise that you do your homework, assess your long-term needs, and only then, choose one.’
Also, don’t forget to tell us which one made it to your cart! We love reading about your purchase experiences.